Reviewing your agreement and license specifications
First let’s look at standard contract language for the Provider Health Analytics Model.
Appendix B goes over the Licensing Model and definitions of terms. The important thing to note here is the Unit of Licensure for each setting type. For Hospital that is "Weighted Patient Interactions", for Ambulatory Only that is "Billing Providers" and for Targeted Products, that is "Persons".
For Hospital Settings, the Calculator here is important to review
- Gather information on outpatient visits and inpatient discharges for the previous calendar year for each site.
- Multiply inpatient discharges by 44 and add to outpatient visits.
- Have these calculated WPI ready for your report. (Do NOT divide by 1,000 or multiply by the rate. AMA will make the rate calculation).
- For Ambulatory Only Settings, you will be gathering the number of Billing Providers for each End User/Customer at the time the Product is Distributed.
- Definition - A healthcare provider who renders medical services for which a fee is charged
- For Targeted Products, gather the number of persons in the defined population that were managed for any portion of the prior calendar year.
- Have the total number of “Persons” ready to include on your report. (Do NOT divide by 1,000 or multiply by the rate. AMA will make the rate calculation).
Now let’s look at the language in your agreement that is specific to your organization's license. Schedule A-1 lists your legal contact and the AMA content that you are licensing.
After those details specific to your organization, you will find the tables listing your products. Provider Health Analytics are generally listed in Table 4.4.
On the left, you will see the name or your product, solution or service. The next column will list which AMA content that you are licensing for that product. Then you will see which settings your end-users are considered. This can be Hospital Setting, Ambulatory Only Setting, or Both. Next you will see the systems array.
In this example, you can see that the systems array is "Operational Analytics", it specifies that it is a Supporting Product, and in both Hospital and Ambulatory settings.
- In “Hospital” settings, the Unit of Licensure is WPI.
- In “Ambulatory Only” settings the Unit of Licensure is Billing Provider.
For reference to the rates, Appendix C, Table 4.1, lists the applicable rates at the time your license was signed.
Gather your data and download a report template for the period that is due. There is a detailed article on Downloading the current report template.
Once you have downloaded the report template, copy and paste the end users location and units of licensure onto the report.
There is a detailed article for completing and submitting a report in the Royalties Portal: Submitting a Report on the AMA Royalties Portal